Thursday, May 13, 2010

Goodbye, you "Pesky Royals"

The Reading Royals' motivational playoff t-shirt read "Here Come those Pesky Royals," a fitting slogan for a #7 seed team making it as far as they did in the playoffs. It was an effective slogan for them, I believe. Actually, I think they were more than just "pesky." They were the real deal. They earned what they got and should be commended and respected for it.

We are loving it that the Cyclones are only the 6th team in the history of professional hockey to come back and win the series after being down by three games. The Royals, on the other hand, have to be only the 6th team to ever lose a series after being up by three games.

That is unthinkable. They have to feel horrible about it. But, such is life in professional sports. The Cyclones also earned everything they got and showed a ton of grit and determination to get this done.

GO CYCLONES! Stump the Steelheads!!!!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a STH for the Royals you have NO idea what it's been like! I thank the hockey gods that we did not lose the series at home. It is incredible how some of our fans and STH are acting about this. I know that there have been alot of negative things said and done in this series but our guys are realy a true heart and soul bunch of guys. I would like to thank the Cycolones for an entertaining series, but most of all I want to thank "my' Royals.....what an awesome ride its been this season! Best of luck Cycolones!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Guido said...

Hello Rebecca - thanks for reading the blog and thanks for contributing. You're right, I have no idea what it must feel like; but consider this:

One thing that would have been nice for Reading fans to see after the game was Benson and Stamoulis meeting off to the side after the hand-shake. This is what I love so much about our sport, hockey.

Two true tough guys; not goons but tough guys; hating each other for 7 games, doing everything thing they can to harass, intimidate, and throw the other guy off their game.

But when it's over, it's over. They met, exchanged a hardy handshake, patted each other on the back, smiled, laughued, and just showed true professionalism.

Royals fans should have seen that. I give Stamoulis a lot of respect for that moment. The grit of a tough guy with the grace of a Captain.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that with me, it would have made alot of us feel better to have seen that exchange for sure! I will continue to read.....tell your guys that I hope they do well at least we will be able to say that we lost to the .......I won't acutally say it because I am a little superstisous and don't want to anger the hockey gods and jinx the Clones!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Guido said...

Thanks again, Rebecca. If you want to travel down to a home game next week I have a Cyclones jersey you can borrow!

Your Royals left it all on the ice, gave it all they had. Really it came down to a 1-game series at home for the Cyclones and I'm sure you've looked at the stats, it was basically a dead-even game. Could have gone either way.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Guido said...

Hey Rebecca: please email me.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home