Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Preparing for Game 3 vs. Elmira

Well, in 24 hours game three will be well underway. I hope everyone can listen on either Max FM 97.7 / 99.5 or online through www.cycloneshockey.com. Maybe the boys can't here us cheering but they'll still know the faithful are out there and will play their best.

The Elmira Jackals are a tough team. They did not get this far by accident and they can't be taken for granted. Coach Weber was quoted in the Enquirer saying this will be a "long series" but the Cyclones definitely have the advantage so far. Taking both games at home is huge - especially given their home-ice woes. And now they are in Elmira, with their strong road record. I really believe they can take this series in Elmira. It could just as easily come back here for a game 6 but I think they have a good chance of winning it there.

It's funny, some of the articles have talked about the Cyclones being a physical team, their number of fights this year, and their total penalties. I guess watching them I never really looked at them this way but upon reflection it is true. They still play with skill as well, though, which is what I love about them. They definitely play aggressively and physical when necessary - but they play clean and play it straight. Good stuff.

So, if they win it in Elmira, the bad news is that we won't see them at home again until Game #3 of the Conference Finals against either Florida or South Carolina. Both teams have a better regular season record, so the winner is guaranteed to have home ice advantage. That series is tied at 1 each and they don't play game 3 until Friday. The good news is that series games are compressed toward the end of the time slot, so whoever we play will probably have less rest.

If they do make it to Conference Finals, I have a new tuxedo to break out. Actually, I bought it last year for my daughter's wedding. It's a standard black tux. I'll probably wear a white shirt with a red vest.

The white jacket will be reserved for Kelly Cup finals. But I'm getting ahead of myself. We still have to knock off Elmira. One game at a time, but it can be done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home